This is an incredibly delicious alternative for people who dislike pumpkin pie. Even my husband, who will not eat cooked fruit such as traditional apple pie, really likes this one.
I will write about the health benefits of raw foods in the next post. The benefits are huge!
This recipe comes from http://www.recipezaar.com/Raw-Apple-Pie-114264. I do not add the ground flax seeds because they are illegal on our current eating plan, even though freshly ground flax seeds have great health benefits.
- 1 cup distilled water
- 1 cup raisins
- 5 apples, peeled and cored
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup dry coconut powder (I use coconut flour from Tropical Traditions, and I use 1/3 cup)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 lemon, juice of (I do not use this, as I find the pie too sour and then have to add honey to offset it)
- Unsweetened shredded coconut or coconut flakes
- Nut-based whipped cream (recipe below)
Soak walnuts in distilled or filtered water overnight with 1 tsp. sea salt. Drain and rinse thoroughly.
Soak raisins in distilled water.
Using food processor, combine crust ingredients; press into pie pan.
Place all filling ingredients (including water and raisins) into food processor, and pulse until a medium coarseness is achieved.
Place filling into pie crust, sprinkle with coconut if desired, chill and serve.
To learn why you are supposed to soak nuts, please read this post: http://movingstronglyforward.typepad.com/moving_strongly_forward/2008/10/nuts-cod-liver.html.
- 1 c. raw cashews
- ¾ c. filtered water
- 1 T raw, unfiltered honey
- ½ t. vanilla
Soak cashews over night in filtered or distilled water with 1/2 tsp. sea salt. Drain and rinse thoroughly.
Place ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Store in refrigerator and serve cold.